For the fruit mix:
800g mixed fruit
200g dried cranberries
100g dried apricots, chopped
625ml coffee liqueur, plus extra for brushing
For the cake:
Zest and juice of 1 orange
250g butter, softened
220g dark brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
4 large eggs
300g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp mixed spice
1 tbsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp cinnamon
50g pecans, chopped
200g dark chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the mixed fruit, dried cranberries, apricots and coffee liqueur. Stir well, then set aside to marinate for 24 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 170 ̊C/150 ̊C fan/gas mark 3. Line a deep 20cm cake tin with a double layer of non-stick parchment paper, then wrap
a double layer of parchment around the outside and tie with string to secure.
- Once the fruit has finished marinating, strain off any excess liquid. Add the treacle, orange zest and juice.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, sugar and vanilla extract. Add the eggs and beat until well combined.
- Add the fruit mixture to the butter mixture. Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine well.
- Transfer the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 3 – 3 1⁄2 hours or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and brush it with coffee liqueur. Wrap the cake in a tea towel and leave it to cool.
- Once the cake is cool, store in an airtight container. Regularly brush the cake with coffee liqueur until it’s time to enjoy.
515kcals, 17.6g fat (9.4g saturated), 71.4g carbs (30.3g sugars), 4.9g protein, 5.5g fibre, 0.102g sodium
Try our amazing Christmas recipes here!