For the doughnuts:
80g unsalted butter, softened
110g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
55g cocoa powder
500g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
For the topping:
20g espresso powder
150g icing sugar
2 tsp vanilla
15g walnuts, chopped
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a jug, whisk together the egg, egg yolk, vanilla and milk. Slowly stream this mixture into the butter and beat until well combined.
- Sieve in the cocoa, flour and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Tip the dough onto a floured surface, give it a light knead and gently bring together.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll the dough to about 1cm thick.
- Use an 8cm round cutter to cut out about 10 doughnuts, making sure to cut them out as close together as possible. Re-roll any cut-offs to cut out more rounds.
- To cook the doughnuts, heat a deep fat fryer (or a pot filled with sunflower oil) to 180 ̊C. Working in batches, cook the doughnuts for about 2-3 minutes on each side. Once cooked, transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper. Allow the doughnuts to cool fully.
- In a bowl, mix together the icing sugar, espresso powder and vanilla together. Add 2-3 teaspoons of hot water to loosen. Carefully dip the tops of the doughnuts into the coffee icing. Sprinkle on some chopped walnuts while the icing is still wet.
385kcals, 15.4g fat (5.9g saturated), 57.2g carbs (22.9g sugars), 6.7g protein, 2.6g fibre, 0.066g sodium