For the cupcakes:
80g unsalted butter, softened
280g caster sugar
220g self-raising flour
20g cocoa powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the filling:
60g salted caramel sauce
For the caramel buttercream:
400g icing sugar
200g unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
25g salted caramel sauce
20g salted caramel sauce, warmed
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together all the dry ingredients. Add the butter and beat to form a sandy texture
- In a jug, whisk together the milk and eggs. Slowly stream this into the butter mixture to form a smooth batter. Spoon into the lined cupcake tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, use a teaspoon to scoop out the centre of each cupcake, reserving the excess sponge. Fill the centre of each cupcake with the caramel sauce.
- In a bowl, beat together the icing sugar, butter, vanilla and caramel sauce until light and fluffy.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star-shaped nozzle. Add a swirl of buttercream to the top of each cupcake. Crumble over the reserved cupcake centres and add a sprinkle of sea salt.
Per Serving 489kcals, 22.1g fat (12.9g saturated), 74.3g carbs (59g sugars), 4g protein, 1g fibre, 0.463g sodium