2 chicken fillets
250g katsu curry sauce
1 tbsp sriracha
80g plain flour
Salt and black pepper
80g panko breadcrumbs
2 tbsp vegetable oil
4 slices sourdough bread
2 tbsp butter, at room temperature
4 slices Edam or Gouda cheese
Roasted red peppers (optional)
For the slaw:
3 spring onions, chopped
175g red cabbage, cored and finely shredded
1 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tsp soy sauce
- On a chopping board, place the chicken fillets between two pieces of cling film (or use a sandwich bag). Bash the chicken pieces with a rolling pin, flattening each one out to roughly the size and shape of your bread.
- Put the chicken in a bowl, pour over half of the katsu sauce and stir to coat. Cover and chill for a minimum of 30 minutes or overnight.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ingredients to make the slaw. Set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and sriracha. Set aside.
- Put the flour onto a plate and season well, then tip the breadcrumbs onto another plate. Coat each chicken fillet in the flour, then dip back in the marinade and then finally the breadcrumbs, pressing them on with your fingers to coat completely. Set aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat and cook the chicken for five minutes per side until cooked through and golden. Set aside on a cooling rack.
- To assemble the sandwiches, spread butter on one side of two slices of bread, then turn them over and spread each with one tablespoon of the sriracha mayonnaise. Top each with two slices of cheese, a crispy chicken fillet and half of the slaw. Add roasted red peppers and lettuce, if desired. Butter the remaining slices of bread and place on top, butter-side up.
- Gently warm the remaining katsu sauce in the microwave or in a pan over a medium- high heat.
- Heat a large pan over a medium-high heat and toast the sandwiches for 2-4 minutes per side, or until the bread is golden and the cheese has melted. Slice the toasties in half and serve with the warm katsu sauce for dunking.
Per serving: 790kcals, 27.9g fat (19.9g saturated), 73.8g carbs (9g sugars), 31g protein, 7.9g fibre, 1.026g sodium