Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the curry sauce:
For the chicken katsu (breaded chicken breast):
- First, make the curry sauce. Melt the butter in a saucepan over a low heat, then stir in the next eight ingredients. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour to make the curry roux. (This can be cooled and stored in the fridge for up to one week.)
- Stir in the water and bring to a simmer. Cook for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Lay the chicken flat on a work top and make a horizontal slice halfway through the chicken, being careful not to cut all the way through. Open the chicken like a book –– this helps the chicken cook more quickly.
- Add the flour, egg and breadcrumbs to three separate bowls. Coat the chicken in flour, then dip into the egg and coat completely in the breadcrumbs. Tips on how to bread without the mess can be found here.
- Heat enough oil for deep-frying in a saucepan until hot. To check if the oil is ready, drop a bit of breadcrumb into the oil. If it’s the right temperature, the breadcrumb will rise to the top of the oil, sizzle and fry, but not brown immediately.
- Gently lower the chicken into the oil. Cook for a few minutes per side until crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oil and drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Slice the chicken while it is still hot and serve with rice, curry sauce and some pickled ginger.
Per serving: 684kcals, 39.3g fat (13.8g saturated), 33.9 g carbs, 5.8g sugars, 47.5g protein, 2.9g fibre, 0.828g sodium
ChickenDinnerCurryDinnerSpecial OccasionsHigh-proteinJapaneseKidsFamily mealsCuisinesDinner partyComfort foodMake it Healthy
Popular in Chicken
Peanut chicken salad