1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp hot chilli powder
Salt and black pepper
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp sliced almonds, lightly toasted in a dry pan
130g tomato purée
120ml chicken stock
3 tbsp dark chocolate chips
4 chicken fillets
1 green chilli, finely chopped
1small handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- Turn the grill on to high, or heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until just softened.
- Stir in the spices and almonds and cook for one minute, stirring, until fragrant. Stir in tomato purée, stock and chocolate chips.
- Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 12-15 minutes, stirring often, until the sauce thickens slightly. Add Purée in a blender with 1/2 cup water until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Place the chicken in a medium bowl. Pour over a little of the mole sauce and toss to coat.
- Grill or griddle the chicken for about five minutes on each side until cooked throughout. Place one chicken fillet on each serving plate and sprinkle with the green chilli and coriander. Serve with the remaining mole sauce and lime wedges.
Per serving: 376kcals, 16.8g fat (4.5g saturated), 14.3g carbs, 8.4g sugars, 42g protein, 2.9g fibre, 0.245g sodium
This is a quicker version of mole, a traditional sauce made with cocoa. Savoury cooking with chocolate may seem strange, but it adds a real depth of flavour.