45g unsweetened cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
3 large egg whites
⅛ tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 150˚C/130˚C fan/gas mark 2 and line two baking trays with tin foil.
- In a small bowl, sift together the cocoa, salt and half of the sugar.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the egg whites together with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Beat in the remaining sugar, half a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture glossy and stiff peaks form. Fold in the vanilla extract and the cocoa mixture.
- Drop rounded teaspoonfuls on the mixture onto the prepared baking trays, spacing them about 2cm apart.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
Per serving: 24kcals, 0.3g fat (0.1g saturated), 5.2g carbs, 4.2g sugars, 0.8g protein, 0.6g fibre, 0.013g sodium
TOP TIP: If you’d prefer these crunchy rather than chewy, just bake them for 15 minutes longer.