4 tbsp mayonnaise
3 tbsp wholegrain mustard
2 tbsp olive oil
½ a small onion, chopped
200g asparagus, ends trimmed, chopped into 3cm lengths
250g mushrooms, stems removed and thinly sliced
1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
Salt and black pepper
160g spinach, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
8 thick slices of sourdough bread
180g Gouda, grated
- Place a baking tray in the centre of the oven and preheat to 220 ̊C/200 ̊C fan/gas mark 7.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and mustard. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and cook the onion for 4-5 minutes until softened. Add the asparagus, mushrooms and pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Stir in the spinach and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes longer until the spinach has wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Spread the butter evenly over one side of each of the slices of sourdough. Spread the other sides with the mayonnaise mixture.
- Carefully remove the hot baking tray from the oven and add the bread slices, butter- side down. Spread the vegetable mixture evenly over four of the slices, then layer the cheese over the vegetables.
- Return to the oven and bake for 4-5 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbling.
- Transfer the bread slices with the vegetables to a cutting board. Top with the remaining bread slices, mayo-side down. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
Per serving 571kcals, 33.7g fat (13.6g saturated), 49.9g carbs (6.2g sugars), 22.7g protein, 4.7g fibre, 1.139g sodium