“This is by far my most liked and downloaded recipe on my Instagram and website. It’s incredibly simple to make – the cake itself is deliciously moist with wonderful hints of cinnamon and nutmeg spices and a dreamy creamy orange blossom frosting, utter heaven!”
For the cake:
140ml vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
220g light brown sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
350g grated carrots, (grated weight)
100g golden raisins
100g walnuts, chopped
200g self-raising flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the orange blossom frosting:
300g cream cheese, chilled
70g butter, at room temperature
300g icing sugar, sifted
1 orange, zest only
2 teaspoons of orange blossom water
- Preheat the oven to 180oC and oil and line a 13 x 23cm loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- For the carrot cake: beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add the oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, grated carrot, raisins and chopped walnuts.
- Sift in the rest of the dry ingredients and bring the mixture together using a wooden or large metal spoon until well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin, smooth the surface and bake in the oven for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. If you’re using a ceramic baking dish then you’ll need to add 15 minutes to the cooking time.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool in the tin for about five minutes before removing. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
- For the orange blossom frosting: beat the cream cheese and butter together in a bowl until well combined. Add the icing sugar, orange blossom water and finely grated orange zest and mix until the frosting is smooth and thick. Using a palette knife, spread the frosting evenly over the cooled cake, dipping the knife into a bowl of hot water if the icing is hard to spread out.
- Decorate with orange zest on top of the frosting.
If you are finding it hard to get your hands on the orange blossom water then use the juice of one orange instead. The cake will last for one week in an airtight container and it also freezers really well (without the frosting) so make double!
Per Serving 669kcals, 36.6g fat (13.6g saturated), 80.3g carbs (58.7g sugars), 9.1g protein, 2.6g fibre, 0.243g sodium