Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the caramel sauce
For the soufflé
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ To make the caramel sauce:
- Put the sugar in a heavy-based pan with 100ml water.
- Gently heat until melted, then bubble – swirling the pan, but not stirring – until the mixture turns a rich caramel colour.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and add the butter.
- Whisk in the cream until combined. Stir in the salt flakes, if you want to make this a salted caramel sauce. Pour into a heatproof container and chill until needed.
- Make double the quantity of the caramel sauce as per the instructions on p.38; you'll use half for the soufflés, and half for serving.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/ gas mark 6. Melt a tablespoon of butter and use a pastry brush to grease six individual ramekins, or a 20cm x 10cm deep round ceramic baking dish. Dust with caster sugar, ensuring you have no gaps, and shake off the excess.
- In a medium saucepan, off the heat, whisk together six egg yolks (save the remaining two egg yolks for another recipe), caster sugar, and flour.
- Slowly add the warm milk, whisking to incorporate. Cook on a medium heat, whisking constantly, until thick, then stir in the caramel. Pour into a large bowl and allow to cool slightly until it’s just warm to the touch, whisking occasionally to prevent a skin forming.
- Whisk the eight egg whites with the vinegar until stiff peaks form. Mix a spoonful of the egg whites into the caramel-egg mixture to loosen, then carefully fold in the rest. Pour into the prepared baking dish and tap hard once on a level surface to remove air bubbles. Bake for 40-45 minutes until golden and risen with a slight wobble in the centre.
- Serve the soufflé straight from the oven with the extra caramel sauce on the side for drizzling over (you’ll need to serve the soufflé immediately as it does sink quite quickly).
Per serving 412kcals, 21.9g fat (12.3g saturated), 47.8g carbs (43.8g sugars), 8.6g protein, 0.1g fibre, 0.318g sodium
Popular in French
Chocolate petit four