Makes 45 small meringues (approx.)
Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 110˚C/90˚C/gas mark ¼. Line two baking trays with tin foil.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat the egg whites, salt and cream of tartar until the mixture forms soft peaks.
- Gradually add the sugar, continuing to beat in bit by bit until the mixture forms stiff peaks. When the mixture is ready, gently stir in the peppermint extract.
- Pour the mixture into a sealable bag (you may need to do this is batches) and cut off one of the bottom corners. Pipe bite-sized meringues onto the baking trays and sprinkle crushed candy canes over them.
- Bake for 1½ hours until the meringues are completely dry on the inside, then turn off the oven and use a wooden spoon to prop the oven door ajar. Allow the meringues to rest in the oven until they are completely cool.
- Use a metal spatula to release the meringues from the tin foil.
Per Serving 12kcals, 0g fat (0g saturated), 2.9g carbs, 2.8g sugars, 0.2g protein, 0g fibre, 0.01g sodium
Popular in Christmas
Rum & pistachio chocolate fudge