For the Cajun mayonnaise:
8 tbsp mayonnaise
½ tbsp Cajun seasoning
For the chicken:
1 tsp salt
4 chicken fillets
150g plain flour
½ tsp smoked paprika
Vegetable oil, for frying
4 floury baps
Little Gem lettuce, shredded
- Combine the buttermilk and salt in a bowl large enough to hold the chicken fillets. Add the fillets, spooning the buttermilk over them to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for at least eight hours or overnight, allowing it to return to room temperature before cooking.
- In a small bowl, combine the two ingredients for the Cajun mayonnaise. Stir and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Put the flour, paprika and some salt and black pepper in a large shallow bowl and stir briefly to combine.
- Pour vegetable oil into a large pan to a depth of 1½cm and heat until very hot.
- Shake as much buttermilk off the chicken pieces as possible, then dip them in the seasoned flour until thoroughly coated.
- Cook the chicken in the hot oil for 8-10 minutes per side until cooked throughout, working in batches if necessary so as to avoid crowding the pan. Drain on kitchen paper.
- Split the four baps and spread with the Cajun mayonnaise. Fill each one with a chicken fillet and add some sliced tomato and shredded lettuce.
Per serving: 797kcals, 25.6g fat (5.7g saturated), 85.6g carbs, 8.1g sugars, 53.7g protein, 3.9g fibre, 1.401g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS: You can substitute sliced turkey breast for the chicken.
TOP TIP: The same coating can be used on chicken thighs and/or legs!