480ml double cream
100g NearyNógs cacao nibs
120g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
240ml whole milk
Pinch of salt
9 large egg yolks
Flaky sea salt
NearyNógs dark chocolate, grated
- Place the cream in a small pan and add the cacao nibs. Place over a medium heat until small bubbles begin to form around the sides, then remove from the heat. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Strain the cooled, infused cream through a sieve to remove the cacao nibs. These can still be eaten as is or added to your next bake.
- Preheat the oven to 150 ̊C/130 ̊C fan/gas mark 3. Place six ramekins in a deep baking dish.
- Place the sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat. Without stirring, allow the sugar to slowly melt around the edges of the pan over the course of 4-5 minutes, turning the heat down if necessary to avoid burning. When the edges of the sugar start to bubble, shake and swirl the pan to dissolve the remaining sugar, but do not stir. Keep the pan moving for around 10 minutes until you have a clear, dark caramel.
- When the sugar is completely dissolved, whisk in the infused cream; the caramel will cool and form a lump. Keep stirring over medium heat until the caramel melts and the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat.
- Stir in the vanilla, milk and salt.
- Place the egg yolks in a large bowl. One ladleful at a time, whisk in the caramel mixture. Keep whisking until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst the six ramekins. Carefully pour enough water into the baking dish to come halfway up the sides of the filled ramekins.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the custards are set and the tops jiggle evenly across the surface. If the centres seem looser than the edges, bake for 1-2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the ramekins to a cooling rack and set aside until they have cooled to room temperature. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least one hour until very cold.
- Sprinkle each portion with a pinch of sea salt flakes and a little grated NearyNógs dark chocolate of your choice.