For the pastry:
125g plain flour
25g icing sugar
75g cold butter
1 egg yolk
2-3 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
100g butter, softened
75g dark brown sugar
100g caster sugar
2 large eggs
100g plain flour
1 tbsp cocoa powder
100g dark chocolate, melted
250g Christmas mincemeat
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4. Grease two mince pie trays with melted butter.
- For the pastry, in a large bowl, sieve together the flour and icing sugar. Use your fingers to rub in the cold butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the egg yolk and enough water to form a soft dough. Turn the pastry onto a floured surface and lightly knead until the dough comes together. Wrap the pastry in cling film and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes
- On a floured surface, roll the dough to about 4mm thick. Using a fluted 9cm biscuit cutter, cut out 24 discs and press them into the prepared mince pie trays. Allow to chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter, brown sugar and caster sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder and melted dark chocolate. Mix until combined, then gently fold in the mincemeat.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst the pastry cases. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow the pies to cool slightly before finishing with a dusting of icing sugar.
789kcals, 34.8g fat (20.6g saturated), 115.1g carbs (81g sugars), 8.8g protein, 1.9g fibre, 0.531g sodium