200g wholemeal flour
100g plain flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Mix the flours, salt and bicarbonate of soda in a large mixing bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add most of the buttermilk, reserving a few tablespoons for brushing over later.
- Use your (clean!) hand to stir the dough in a circle motion, incorporating the buttermilk into the flour. The dough should be soft but not too sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Gently flatten until it is about 5cm thick. Use a floured biscuit cutter to stamp out rounds, then place them on a baking tray.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the reserved buttermilk and sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes until the scones are risen and browned.
Per Serving 100 kcals, 1.4g fat (0.2g saturated), 17.9g carbs, 1.1g sugars, 3.8g protein, 1.9g fibre, 0.172g sodium