450g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
450g coarse wholemeal flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
100g wheat bran
50g cold butter, cubed
1 tbsp golden syrup
600ml buttermilk, plus extra for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7. Combine the flours, bicarbonate of soda, salt and wheat bran in a bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture with your fingertips until crumbly.
- Make a well in the centre of the mixture and add the golden syrup and buttermilk. Stir quickly until combined.
- Roll out the dough until it is about 2cm thick and stamp out rounds using a biscuit cutter.
- Place onto a baking tray, brush with a small bit of buttermilk and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and risen.
Per Serving 196kcals, 3.2g fat (1.5g saturated), 36.4g carbs, 1.8g sugars, 6.8g protein, 4.8g fibre, 0.228g sodium