1 onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped sliced
1 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika
4 tbsp flour
500ml chicken or vegetable stock
1 head of broccoli, chopped into small florets
200g mature Cheddar, grated
Salt and black pepper
4 crusty cob bread rolls
- Melt one tablespoon of the butter in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic powder and paprika. Cook for 2-3 minutes until translucent.
- Add the rest of the butter and stir until melted. Whisk in the flour until combined.
- Gradually pour in the stock while whisking constantly. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until thickened.
- Add the broccoli and simmer for 20 minutes until tender.
- Stir in the milk to combine.
- Cut out the top from the cob rolls and tear out some of the centre until hollow.
- Stir in the Cheddar until melted. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into the bread bowls to serve.