Knob of butter
2 tbsp olive oil
250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
3 shallots, finely chopped
1 garlic cloves, crushed
320g Arborio rice
200ml white wine
800ml hot vegetable stock
80g Gorgonzola or other soft blue cheese, cubed
40g cold butter, cut into cubes
Small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- Melt the butter with half of the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Cook the mushrooms for 3-4 minutes until golden, then remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and cook the shallots over a low heat for five minutes. Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add the rice and toast, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until opaque. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until it has been absorbed.
- Gradually add the hot stock to the pan, a ladleful at a time, and wait until each ladleful has been absorbed by the rice before adding another. Keep stirring and adding the stock for about 20 minutes until the rice is cooked to al dente.
- Remove the risotto from the heat. Add the cold butter cubes and blue cheese and beat in with a wooden spoon until completely melted into the rice. Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Fold through the mushrooms and parsley. Divide among plates and serve.
Per serving: 585kcals, 23.9g fat (11.4g saturated), 72.3g carbs, 2.1g sugars, 12.8g protein, 3.6g fibre, 0.982g sodium
This serves four as a vegetarian main course, but will serve six as a side dish – we love it with steaks!