Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the sponge:
For the filling:
- 1 Preheattheovento180 ̊C/160 ̊Cfan/gasmark 4. Grease and line a 20cm loose-bottomed or springform cake tin.
- Tomakethesponge, first whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a large bowl until they begin to look pale and thick. Sieve in the cocoa powder and a pinch of salt, then fold in to combine.
- Whisk the whites in a separate clean bowl, until stiff enough to form soft peaks. Fold the whites into the yolk mixture a little at a time and very gently.
- Transferthemixtureintothecaketin, smooth the top and bake for 35-40 minutes, until puffed up and set on top. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Drain the cherries,retaining the syrup.Mix 100ml of the syrup with the kirsch.
- Cut the cooled cake into three horizontal slices and put on separate plates. Spoon half of the syrup over the slices and allow to sink in.
- Whipthecreamuntilthick,then sift in the icing sugar and add the vanilla extract. Whisk until thick and airy, but not too stiff to spread.
- To assemble the cake, put a sponge layer on a cake stand or board. Spread with half of the jam, a third of the cream and a third of the cherries.
- Carefullyplaceanotherchocolatespongeon top and press down gently. Repeat the layers.
- Place the last sponge on top and press down gently. Spread the remaining cream on top.
- Arrange the remaining cherries on the top and grate chocolate curls all over. Chill the cake for an hour before serving.
Per Serving: 433kcals, 23.3g fat (13.6g saturated), 51.9g carbs, 45.9g sugars, 6.6g protein, 1.9g fibre, 0.101g sodium
Popular in Cakes
Mini pineapple upside-down cakes