For the sponge:
6 large eggs, separated
140g light brown sugar
60g cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
For the filling:
700g morello cherries in syrup
500ml double cream
50g icing sugar
1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
300g black cherry jam
25g dark chocolate
- 1 Preheattheovento180 ̊C/160 ̊Cfan/gasmark 4. Grease and line a 20cm loose-bottomed or springform cake tin.
- Tomakethesponge, first whisk the egg yolks with the sugar in a large bowl until they begin to look pale and thick. Sieve in the cocoa powder and a pinch of salt, then fold in to combine.
- Whisk the whites in a separate clean bowl, until stiff enough to form soft peaks. Fold the whites into the yolk mixture a little at a time and very gently.
- Transferthemixtureintothecaketin, smooth the top and bake for 35-40 minutes, until puffed up and set on top. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Drain the cherries,retaining the syrup.Mix 100ml of the syrup with the kirsch.
- Cut the cooled cake into three horizontal slices and put on separate plates. Spoon half of the syrup over the slices and allow to sink in.
- Whipthecreamuntilthick,then sift in the icing sugar and add the vanilla extract. Whisk until thick and airy, but not too stiff to spread.
- To assemble the cake, put a sponge layer on a cake stand or board. Spread with half of the jam, a third of the cream and a third of the cherries.
- Carefullyplaceanotherchocolatespongeon top and press down gently. Repeat the layers.
- Place the last sponge on top and press down gently. Spread the remaining cream on top.
- Arrange the remaining cherries on the top and grate chocolate curls all over. Chill the cake for an hour before serving.
Per Serving 433kcals, 23.3g fat (13.6g saturated), 51.9g carbs, 45.9g sugars, 6.6g protein, 1.9g fibre, 0.101g sodium