Makes 1 loaf
Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the wholemeal flour, plain flour, oats, salt and bicarbonate of soda and stir to combine. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour in the buttermilk and stir until the ingredients come together into a sticky dough. Use wet hands to form the dough into a ball.
- Place the ball of dough on the prepared baking tray and dust with some wholemeal flour. Cut a deep cross in the centre.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until the bottom of the bread sounds hollow when tapped and the crust is golden.
- Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool for 30 minutes before slicing. Serve with plenty of butter, your favourite topping and a pot of tea.
Per serving: 219kcals, 1.9g fat (0.4g saturated), 40.7g carbs (2.9g sugars), 9.3g protein, 5.8g fibre, 0.363g sodium
Kids bakingIrishLunchboxFreezer-friendlyLow sugarDiabetic-friendlyBreakfast & BrunchCholesterol-friendly recipesLunch & snacksLow-fatKidsBreadCuisinesBakingMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Kids baking