1.5kg floury potatoes, such as Roosters, peeled and chopped into 4-5cm chunks
150g lard, goose fat or duck fat, or vegetable oil
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Preheat the oven to 220 ̊C/200 ̊C fan/gas mark 7.
- Place the potatoes in a pan and cover with cold water. Place over a high heat and bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 8-9 minutes until softened at the edges.
- Meanwhile, place the lard or other fat in a large roasting tin and place in the oven to for 10 minutes until shimmering hot.
- Drain the potatoes well, then return to the pan and steam dry for 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan to rough up the edges. The fluffier the edges get, the crispier your roasties will be.
- Use tongs to add the potatoes into the tin with the hot fat. Turn them over once to coat in the fat, then season with salt.
- Roast for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and crispy, turning once or twice. Serve hot with a sprinkling of flaky salt and some fresh thyme leaves.
398kcals, 25.3g fat (9.9g saturated), 39.3g carbs (2.9g sugars), 4.2g protein, 6g fibre, 0.093g sodium