1 x 320g sheet of shortcrust pastry, thawed
3kg boneless beef short ribs, cut into 4cm pieces
Salt and black pepper
4 tbsp plain flour, plus extra for dusting
1 tbsp olive oil
8 shallots, halved
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
1 tbsp tomato purée
240ml red wine
750ml beef stock
1 bouquet garni (fresh sprigs of thyme, parsley and bay leaves tied together)
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Season the short ribs with salt and pepper and toss with the flour.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy pot over a medium-high heat. Shake any excess flour from the ribs and brown on all sides for 8-10 minutes, working in batches to avoid crowding the pan. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the ribs to a large bowl.
- Cook the shallots in the same pot for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper, add the garlic and thyme and cook for one minute longer. Transfer to a small bowl using a slotted spoon.
- Add the tomato purée and cook over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until slightly darkened, stirring often.
- Add the wine. Bring to a boil and allow to bubble for 8-10 minutes or until reduced by about half, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any sticky bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the stock and bouquet garni and bring to a boil. Return the short ribs to the pot and reduce the heat to low. Simmer gently for 2½ hours, uncovered, until the short ribs are falling apart and the liquid has thickened.
- Remove the bouquet garni. Return the shallots and thyme to the pot and stir to break up the short ribs, removing the bones. Season with salt and pepper, then divide between four individual baking dishes.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and cut into quarters.
- Place one piece of pastry over each baking dish and trim, leaving an overhang. Tuck the edges under and crimp with the tines of a fork. Use the tip of a sharp knife to pierce a few slits in the pastry.
- Brush the pies with the beaten egg and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Place the dishes on a large rimmed baking tray. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Allow to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: 1082kcals, 47.1g fat (8.2g saturated), 48.7g carbs, 1.1g sugars, 100.3g protein, 1.7g fibre, 0.844g sodium