Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 150˚C/130˚ fan/gas mark 2.
- Place the flour in a sealable bag and add some salt and pepper. Add the beef and toss to coat.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish over a medium-high heat.
- Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, shake off any excess flour from the pieces of beef and brown on all sides. Transfer to a plate.
- Heat the remaining olive oil and the butter in the same pan over a medium heat. Cook the onion, carrot and celery for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and tomato purée and cook for one minute.
- Turn the heat to high and add a splash of Guinness to the casserole dish. Allow to bubble for two minutes, using a wooden spoon to scrape any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Return the beef to the casserole dish and add the remaining Guinness along with the stock, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and thyme. Season with some salt and black pepper.
- Cover the casserole tightly with tin foil and then add the lid. Place in the oven for three hours until the beef is very tender.
Per Serving: 638kcals, 28g fat (10.2g saturated), 10.1g carbs (3.8g sugars), 77.8g protein, 1.9g fibre, 0.511g sodium
Popular in Irish
Italian wedding soup