Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Grease and line your cake tin(s).
- Cream the sugar and butter together until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until combined. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Combine the flour and baking powder. Beat into the butter mixture.
- Stir in the milk until smooth.
- Transfer to the prepared tin(s) and bake for 30-40 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
This cake is a perfect match for this basic buttercream icing.
Note: “1 x 20cm deep round cake tin” OR “1 x 23cm deep square tin” can be used as an alternative to “2 x 20cm round sandwich tins”, if you wish.
Per serving: 303kcals, 12g fat (7.1g saturated), 45.2g carbs (26.5g sugars), 4.8g protein, 0.7g fibre, 0.101g sodium.