For the sponge:
200g butter, softened
200g caster sugar
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp milk
For the filling:
500g vanilla ice cream
200g frozen raspberries
For the meringue:
300g caster sugar 75ml water
3 egg whites
- Preheat the oven 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4. Line three 20cm tins with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar until light and uffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition.
- Fold in the our, baking powder and milk, until just combined.
- Divide the mix evenly amongst the prepared tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Allow the sponges to cool completely.
- Line a large bowl with cling film. Cut a circle from the sponge about the same size as the bottom of the bowl and press it inside. Top with the frozen raspberries and vanilla ice cream. Place the next sponge on top and repeat this step. Finish with the third sponge and freeze until ready for use.
- For the meringue, put the sugar and the water into a small saucepan over a medium heat. Attach a sugar thermometer to the side of the pot.
- Slowly start to whisk the egg using an electric beater or a free standing mixer with a whisk attachment. Mix until the egg white starts to foam.
- Allow the sugar to reach 121 ̊C, then slowly stream the hot sugar into the egg whites. Turn the mixer to full speed and whisk until the egg whites have cooled to room temperature.
- Heat the grill and position an oven rack at the bottom of the oven. Remove the sponge from the freezer and invert onto a baking tray. Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to swirl the meringue all over the outside of the sponge. Toast under the grill for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Per Serving 327kcals, 14.5g fat (8.5g saturated), 47g carbs (36.4g sugars), 4.6g protein, 1.2g bre, 0.117g sodium