Makes around 25
1 onion, finely chopped
400g cabbage, finely chopped
200g boiled bacon loin, finely choppe
Handful of fresh parsley, chopped
1kg mashed potato
Salt and black pepper
120g plain flour
120g dried breadcrumbs
Vegetable oil, for frying
Lemon wedges, to serve
- Melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for two minutes. Add the cabbage and cook for 6-8 minutes or until soft.
- Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bacon, parsley and mashed potato. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Scoop out a portion measuring around two tablespoons and use damp hands to roll into a croquette around 7cm long. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- When all of the croquettes are formed, place in the fridge for 20 minutes or until firm.
- Whisk the egg and milk together in a shallow bowl. Place the flour in a second shallow bowl and the breadcrumbs in a third.
- One at a time, roll each croquette in flour, shaking off any excess. Dip to coat in the egg mixture, then dredge in the breadcrumbs, pressing them on lightly to coat. Place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Add enough oil to a large frying pan to come 2cm up the side. Heat over a medium-high heat. Working in batches to avoid crowding the pan, cook the croquettes for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown on all sides. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Season with salt and black pepper and serve with some lemon wedges for squeezing over.
Per croquette: 135kcals, 6.2g fat (1.8g saturated), 15.5g carbs (1.8g sugars), 4.6g protein, 1.5g fibre, 0.19g sodium
Here’s a quick guide to learn how to cook boiled bacon boil easily.