Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Place whichever fat you are using into a large roasting tin, and place this in the oven while it preheats so the fat can get really hot.
- Cut any large potatoes into quarters and smaller ones into halves, so that they are all roughly the same size.
- Wash the potatoes in cold water to get rid of surplus starch. Place them into a large pot, cover with cold water and add one teaspoon of salt.
- Bring to the boil. Once boiling, cook for 5-6 minutes until just slightly tender. Turn the heat off on the hob.
- Drain the potatoes well, then return the pan to the hot hob. 6 Steam the potatoes dry for 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan every 20 seconds or so to rough up their edges.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and add the potatoes, being careful not to splash yourself with the hot fat. Use tongs to toss the potatoes in the fat so that it coats all sides. Season generously with sea salt and black pepper.
- Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, turning every 20 minutes or so, until the potatoes are very golden and crisp. Add the herbs for the final 20 minutes, if using. Season with sea salt and serve immediately.
Note: Duck fat or olive oil can be used as an alternative to goose fat, if you wish.
Per Serving: 404kcals, 25.5g fat (7.1g saturated), 40.5g carbs, 2.9g sugars, 4.3g protein, 6.8g fibre, 0.055g sodium
Popular in Christmas
Mini veggie mushroom Wellingtons