For the cupcakes:
230g butter, softened
270g caster sugar
½ tsp cinnamon
350g self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 cooking apples, peeled and diced
For the icing:
400g icing sugar, sifted
200g unsalted or salted butter, softened
Some lemon zest, optional
Sprinkle of cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cases.
- Put the butter, caster sugar, eggs, cinnamon, flour and baking powder into a large bowl and mix well until smooth. Add the apples and stir to combine.
- Divide the mix between the prepared muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, beat together the sifted icing sugar and the butter until well combined. Beat in some grated lemon zest, if desired, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Add 2-3 tablespoons of boiling water to loosen, then beat until smooth.
- Fit a piping bag with a plain nozzle. Add the buttercream and pipe onto the cooled cupcakes. Lightly sprinkle with cinnamon before serving.
Per Serving 618kcals, 30.9g fat (18.9g saturated), 83.7g carbs (59.2g sugars), 5.3g protein, 1.8g fibre, 0.229g sodium