For the crumble topping:
50g butter, melted
1tbsp plain flour
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
For the apple cake:
3 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored and thinly sliced
270g plain flour
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
100g butter, at room temperature
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1½ tsp vanilla bean paste
Icing sugar, for dusting (optional)
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine all of the ingredients for the crumble. Pulse until the mixture forms a sandy texture with some large clumps.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line a 15cm springform tin with parchment paper.
- Place the apples in a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle over 30g of the flour, toss to coat and set aside.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter and sugar. Beat for several minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, just until the yolks disappear. Add the vanilla bean paste and mix just until blended.
- Add one-third of the flour mixture to the creamed butter and sugar. Beat on a low speed low until incorporated. Add about half of the milk and blend until smooth.
- Repeat, adding half of the remaining flour mixture, then all of the remaining milk. Finally, blend in the last of the flour mixture and mix just until incorporated. Scrape up the batter from the bottom of the bowl and give it one last spin, then fold in the apples.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with the crumble topping, leaving some in large clumps.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the top is lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out almost clean.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes if serving warm, or cool completely before removing the sides of the tin. Dust with icing sugar, if desired, and serve with warmed custard.
Per Serving 353kcals, 14.1g fat (8.2g saturated), 53.7g carbs (26.1g sugars), 5.4g protein, 3.1g fibre, 0.339g sodium
TOP TIP: if you have any leftover crumble, spread out on a baking tray and bake at 150˚C/130˚C fan/gas mark 2 for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve over ice cream with some stewed berries.