Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- In a large heavy pan, combine the butter and apples over a medium heat. Allow the butter to melt, cooking and stirring for five minutes.
- Add the sugar, apple juice, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and a pinch of salt. Cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until the apples are tender. Spoon the mixture into a 23 x 33cm baking dish.
- Layer the slices of bread over the apples, covering the entire surface and trimming pieces to fit if needed.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs until foamy. Whisk in the milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon and a pinch of salt until well combined.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture over the bread slices, taking time to let the liquid soak through the tops of the bread to ensure an even coating. Press down lightly on the bread to soak. Cover the dish with cling film and place in the fridge for eight hours or overnight.
- Remove from the fridge 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
- Place the French toast bake in the oven, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes or until the top is golden and the edges are crisp.
- Allow to rest at room temperature for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with maple syrup.
Per Serving: 366kcals, 8.6g fat (4.3g saturated), 65.3g carbs, 35.8g sugars, 9.2g protein, 4.1g fibre, 0.392g sodium
Sweet thingsMother’s DayBreakfast & BrunchLunch & snacksLow-fatFrench ToastBreadBakingMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Mother’s Day
Smoked salmon & herby cream cheese bites by EUROSPAR