½ tbsp olive oil
½ an onion, chopped
3 anchovies, from a jar
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
½ tsp dried oregano
2 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
300ml chicken stock
Salt and black pepper
50ml cream, to finish (optional)
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and anchovies and cook for 5-6 minutes until the anchovies have melted and the onion has softened.
- Add the garlic, chilli and oregano and cook for two minutes longer.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for two minutes, using the back of a wooden spoon to crush the tomatoes against the sides of the pan.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat. Simmer gently for 8-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and plenty of black pepper, bearing in mind that the anchovies and stock have already contributed salt.
- Use a stick blender to whizz until smooth. Stir in the cream, if desired. Heat through gently before serving.
Per serving: 170kcals, 10.5g fat (4.9g saturated), 13.8g carbs (9g sugars), 7.7g protein, 2.8g fibre, 0.905g sodium
Top tip: To make this vegetarian, omit the anchovies, add a splash of soy sauce with the tomatoes and use veggie stock instead of chicken.