For the torte:
1 blood orange (also works perfectly with regular oranges)
225g caster sugar
250g ground almonds
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 orange, sliced as thin as possible to decorate on top
- Put the whole orange in a small pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for at least 1 hour until orange is tender. Drain and cool.
- Grease and line an 8-inch springform cake tin.
- Cut the orange in half and remove the pups. Whiz it up in a food processor to make a smooth puree.
- Put the eggs and sugar into a bowl and whisk together until thick and pale. Simply fold in the ground almonds, baking powder and orange puree.
- Pour into your prepared tin, if using orange slice on top, lay on top now.
- Bake at 180 for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
This is delicious served warm with ice cream or with vanilla yoghurt.
This can be made with a regular orange.
This is gluten-free, but if you wanted a different texture you could add in 2-3 tablespoons of plain flour.