- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and black pepper
- 8 eggs
- Olive oil
- Gluten-free crusty bread
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chilli and green pepper and cook, stirring, for six minutes or until the onions are golden.
- Add the tomatoes and spices. Reduce the heat and cook for a further 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Make eight small hollows in the tomato mixture and crack an egg into each one. Cover and cook on a low heat for a further eight minutes, or until the eggs are cooked to your liking (shakshuka is best with runny yolks.) Drizzle with olive oil and serve with crusty bread for dipping.
Per Serving 251kcals, 16.4g fat (3.8g saturated), 13.8g carbs, 7.8g sugars, 14.1g protein, 3.5g fibre, 0.136g sodium