2 tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
6 tbsp Thai red curry paste
2l chicken stock
1 x 400g tin of coconut milk
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 x 6cm piece of lemongrass, lightly crushed
Pinch of sugar
4 chicken fillets or skinless thighs, poached and shredded
60g dried rice noodles, snapped into short sections
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
Large handful of coriander leaves
5 spring onions, thinly sliced
Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
Juice of 1 lime
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger, and Thai red curry paste and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly, until dark red and fragrant.
- Add the chicken stock, coconut milk, fish sauce, lemongrass and a pinch of sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes, uncovered, until the lemongrass and ginger are tender. Remove and discard the lemongrass.
- Meanwhile, place the rice noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- In a bowl, toss together the red onion, coriander, spring onions and basil. Set aside for serving.
- Stir the chicken into the soup and simmer over a low heat for five minutes until heated through.
- Increase the heat to high and stir in the noodles. Bring the soup to a boil, then immediately remove from the heat. Stir in the lime juice.
- Ladle the soup into wide bowls. Top with the reserved onion and herb mixture to serve.
Per Serving 457kcals, 32.1g fat (18.4g saturated), 14.4g carbs, 4.5g sugars, 27.9g protein, 2.5g fibre, 2.63g sodium