Butter, for greasing
450g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of baking powder
50g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
Zest and juice of 1 orange
100g butter, cut into cubes
1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat the oven to 210˚C/190˚C/gas mark 8 and lightly grease a baking tray with butter.
- Sift the flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Use your fingers to rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the caster sugar and orange zest.
- Pour the cream and milk into a jug. Add the beaten egg and mix to combine. Add half of the wet mixture into the dry mixture and combine with a fork. Keep adding the wet mixture bit by bit until it comes together into a dough. Set a little of the milk mixture aside.
- Roll the ball of dough out onto a floured surface until it is about 2cm thick.
- Cut out the scones using a 5cm round pastry cutter.
- Place the scones onto the baking tray and brush with the reserved milk mixture. Sprinkle with some sugar and place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool the scones on a wire rack before serving.
245kcals, 9.1g fat (5.4g saturated), 35.8g carbs, 6.6g sugars, 5.2g protein, 1.5g fibre, 0.082g sodium