4 large potatoes, skins left on, chopped
Salt and black pepper
Large knob of butter
1 leek, washed, trimmed and sliced
1 large onion, chopped
100g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
850ml vegetable stock
1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
120g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
4 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
5 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
200g frozen peas
60ml whole milk
1 x 320g sheet of puff pastry
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Place the potatoes into a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add one teaspoon of salt, then place over a high heat and bring to a boil. Cook for 7-8 minutes, then drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large casserole dish over a medium heat and add the leek and onion. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 7-8 minutes until soft. Stir in the flour until well combined and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable stock and add the thyme, mushrooms, parsley, carrots, peas and cooked potatoes. Stir to combine, then season again with salt and pepper. Slowly pour in the milk and stir again to combine. Cover and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a 23 x 33cm baking dish. Cover with the puff pastry, trimming away any excess. Press down the edges with the back of a fork and poke a few holes in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Brush with the egg wash and place the dish on a large baking tray. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool for five minutes, then dig in to serve.
Per serving: 477kcals, 18.2g fat (5.2g saturated), 68.9g carbs, 7.7g sugars, 11.1g protein, 8.7g fibre, 0.545g sodium