For the babka dough
Makes 1 loaf
- Add 60ml warm whole milk to a bowl, then sprinkle over 7g of active dry yeast and a pinch of sugar. Leave to sit for 10 minutes until foamy.
- Mix 265g plain flour, 2 large eggs and the yeast mixture in a large bowl.
- Beat in 70g room-temperature butter. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until it is smooth and elastic.
- Form the dough into a ball. Transfer to a greased bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm space for 1-2 hours until it has doubled in size.
- Knock back the dough with your hand, then cover again and refrigerate overnight
For the sun-dried tomato pesto filling:
180g basil pesto
A handful of sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained and finely sliced
60g goat’s cheese, crumbled
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
1 tsp pumpkin seeds
- Prepare the dough as per the instructions.
- Butter a standard 900g loaf tin and line with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on the sides.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll out on a floured surface into a very thin rectangle. Spread the pesto over the dough (it’s not necessary to leave a border). Scatter over the sun-dried tomatoes and goat’s cheese.
- Starting with a long side, roll the dough into a tight coil. Transfer the coil onto a sheet of parchment paper and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Slice the roll in half lengthwise to expose the filling. Twist the halves in a plait, then fold in half.
- Place into the prepared tin, letting it curl around itself if it is too long for the tin. Cover loosely with a clean tea towel and leave to rise in a warm place for one hour until it has risen.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Brush the top of the babka with the egg wash and sprinkle with the seeds. Bake for 25-35 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
Per Serving 234 kcals, 14.6g fat (5.5g saturated), 18.9g carbs, 1.5g sugars, 7g protein, 1.1g fibre, 0.173g sodium