For the meringue
2 large egg whites
100g caster sugar
¼ tsp Dr. Oetker Cream of Tartar
Dr. Oetker Extra Strong Food Colour Gel, (red and violet)
For the tart
1 sheet short crust pastry
For the filling
1 tsp Taylor and Colledge Organic Vanilla Bean Paste
A mix of Fresh berries, (strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries)
- Preheat the oven 120°/ 100°C fan/gas mark ½ and line two baking trays with non-stick parchment paper.
- For the meringues in a large clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they begin to form soft peaks.Whisking constantly, add one tablespoon of caster sugar at a time. Continue adding the sugar until all of it has been incorporated.
- Add the cream of tartar and continue to whisk for 10 minutes until the meringue is glossy and very stiff.
- To one piping bag, add 1/3 of the mixture. To another piping bag use a small paint brush to paint stripes of Dr. Oetker Extra Strong Red Food Colour Gel and to another piping bag, paint stripes of Dr. Oetker Extra Strong Violet Food Colour Gel. Add the remaining mix to the painted piping bags.
- At the end of each piping bag, cut a 2cm hole. Pipe 2cm meringue kisses onto the prepared tray of each colour, until all the mix is used or between 30 to 40 small meringues.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the meringues to cool in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Once the meringues have cooled remove them from the oven. Turn the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a 20 cm round tart tin and line the base with non-stick parchment paper.
- Unroll the shortcrust pastry onto a floured surface and roll the pastry until big enough to line the pastry case. Lift the pastry into the prepared tin, pushing it into the sides. Trim away any excess.
- Line the pastry with some parchment paper and fill with baking beans. Bake the pastry blind for about 20-25 minutes or until the sides of the pastry are a pale golden colour. Remove the paper and the beans and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
- In a bowl, whisk together the cream and Taylor and Colledge Organic Vanilla Bean Paste to soft peaks.
- Once the pastry case has fully cooled, spoon in the whipped cream and top with a variety of mixed berries. Decorate with the meringues and some fresh mint.
In a large bowl, add the flour and icing sugar. Rub in the butter. Mix in the egg yolk and enough water to form a soft dough. Lightly knead the pastry until the dough comes together. Wrap the pastry in cling film and refrigerate for at least one hour before rolling it out.
- If you have left over meringues, make some Eton mess in glasses at a later date. Store the meringues in an airtight container, at room temperature and they can last up to 3 weeks.
- To make this dessert ahead of time, you can bake the pastry case and meringues. Store both in airtight containers and you will only have to make the cream and decorate on the day.
This recipe is sponsored by Dr. Oetker