- Once you’ve baked the cakes, use a serrated knife to trim off the tops so that they’re level.
- Split the buttercream icing into four bowls. Use the food colouring to dye three of the bowls, one pale, one medium and the final a deep shade of the same colour.
- Sandwich the cake layers on top of one another using the white icing.
- Use a palette knife or the back of a spoon to cover the bottom third of the cake with the deepest colour. It’s fine if the icing is rough; it will be smoothed out later.
- Cover the middle third with the middle colour. Spread the top third and the top of the cake with the pale icing.
- Run a clean, warm palette knife or butter knife around the cake to smooth out and blend the three colours. Dot edible pearls around the cake and top with berries or flowers, if desired.
Per Serving 875kcals, 44.3g fat (20.4g saturated), 124.5g carbs, 87.6g sugars, 10.7g protein, 8.5g fibre, 0.395g sodium