80g Kilbeggan oats
80ml whole milk
Salt and black pepper
30g Irish butter
2-3 handfuls of spinach
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
50g Irish hard cheese (e.g 15 Fields, Coolea or Cáis na Tíre), grated
2 eggs, soft-boiled, poached or fried
1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Heat a dry frying pan over a medium-high heat and toast the oats for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Place the toasted oats in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the milk and water and slowly bring to the boil, stirring frequently.
- Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes or until cooked to your preferred texture, stirring often. Add a pinch of salt halfway through.
- Remove the pan from the heat, cover with a lid and allow to rest for five minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat. Cook the mushrooms for 5-6 minutes until golden. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the spinach and the Worcestershire sauce. Allow to wilt, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the cheese into the finished porridge. Divide between two bowls and top with the mushroom and spinach mixture. Place a soft-boiled, poached or fried egg on top of each portion, scatter with the spring onion and serve immediately.
Per Serving: 453kcals, 27.5g fat (14.8g saturated), 33.2g carbs (5.3g sugars), 20.4g protein, 5.1g fibre, 0.442g sodium