350g packet fruit mix
Oil or butter, for greasing
125g golden caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
225g self-raising flour
Good pinch of mixed spice
1 ring or coin, wrapped in a small bit of
- Place the fruit in a bowl, cover with the tea and leave to soak overnight. The tea should just about cover all the fruit.
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/150˚C fan/gas mark 3. Grease a 900g loaf tin or a 16cm round cake tin and line with parchment paper. Weigh out your ingredients.
- Add the sugar, egg, flour and mixed spice to the fruit. If the mixture is a little dry, add a little more tea.
- Stir to combine everything thoroughly.
- Pour into the prepared tin and insert the paper-wrapped ring or coin halfway down the batter — don’t let anyone see where it is!
- Bake for around one hour and 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the brack comes out clean and the barmbrack is firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool on a wire tray. When cooled, wrap in greaseproof paper.
Per Serving: 323kcals, 2.8g fat (0.4g saturated), 69.8g carbs, 45.9g sugars, 4.5g protein, 2.2g fibre, 0.009g sodium