1 x our favourite vanilla sponge recipe, to fill 2 x 20cm round sandwich tins
500g mixed berries
2 tbsp caster sugar
500ml double cream
50g icing sugar, sifted
- While the cakes are baking, heat half of the berries in a saucepan over a low heat. Sprinkle over the caster sugar and simmer for 10 minutes until the berries are soft and there is some syrup at the bottom of the pan.
- Strain the berries through a sieve, reserving the syrup. When the cakes are out of the oven, brush the syrup over the tops while they are cooling to room temperature.
- Beat the cream and icing sugar with for a few minutes until thick and creamy. You don’t want it to become too dense, so watch it carefully as you beat it.
- Spread half of the cream over one of the cakes, then top with the other cake. Spread the remaining cream on top.
- Combine the softened berries with the remaining fresh ones. Pile them high into the centre of the cake before serving.
Per Serving 474kcals, 28.6g fat (17.4g saturated), 51g carbs, 32.1g sugars, 5.2g protein, 2.3g fibre, 0.1g sodium