Feeling the effects of a booze-filled Christmas and struggling to get through ‘Dry January’? Don’t let an alcohol-ban turn you into a hermit — enjoy any of these delicious mocktail recipes with your friends and family today, for a merry night in!
Apple and ginger Mocktail
1l cloudy apple juice
1l ginger beer
Juice of 2 limes
½ tsp cinnamon
2-3 star anise
Pinch of nutmeg, freshly grated
1 x 3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
Large handful of ice
- In a large jug, mix together the apple juice, ginger beer, lime juice, spices, ginger and ice. Stir well.
- When ready to serve, dress each glass with some ice and a slice of fresh apple, then pour in the cocktail and serve.
Lemon rosemary Mocktail
4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
2 tbsp honey
- Peel off thick strips of zest from one of the lemons.
- Juice the lemons and orange into a measuring cup. Top up with water if necessary to make 250ml.
- Combine the peeled lemon zest, lemon juice, orange juice, rosemary, sugar and honey in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Boil for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar. Remove from the heat and leave for 10 minutes.
- Strain through a sieve into a jug and allow to cool completely.
- To serve, place some ice cubes in each glass and add three tablespoons of the syrup. Top up the glass with soda water and stir. Garnish with rosemary sprigs and/or lemon slices.
Blueberry and mint Mocktail
Juice of 1 lime,
100g caster sugar
Sparkling lemon and lime
- Prepare a simple syrup by pouring the Lime juice into a saucepan along with the sugar and blueberries. Simmer over a low heat until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and pour through a fine mesh sieve to remove any bits, pressing the berries through. Allow to cool.
- To serve, place some ice cubes in a tall glass. Fill the glass with two parts simple syrup to three parts sparkling lemon and lime. Garnish with fresh lime slices and mint leaves.
Spiced apple warmers
800ml apple juice
4 cinnamon sticks
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp salt
- In a saucepan over a medium-low heat, whisk together the apple juice, 4 cinnamon sticks, ground allspice, ground ginger, ground cloves, nutmeg and salt.
- Bring to a simmer, then remove from the heat.
- Pour through a sieve into a jug and discard the solids. Serve in mugs and garnish with cinnamon sticks.
Winter berry punch
500ml orange juice
500ml cranberry juice
500ml white grape juice
300g ruby grapefruit juice
1 large orange, sliced
2 limes, sliced
Seeds of ½ a pomegranate
80g fresh or frozen cranberries
Sprigs of rosemary
200g redcurrants (save some for garnish)
Lots of ice
- Pour the orange juice, cranberry juice, grape juice and ruby grapefruit juice into a
- Add the orange and lime slices, along with the pomegranate, cranberries and sprigs of rosemary. Add lots of ice and stir well.
- Dress each serving glass with a slice of fruit, some cranberries or pomegranate seeds and a sprig of rosemary, then pour in the punch and enjoy.