World Egg Day
Friday 12th October is ‘World Egg Day’ this year, and Bord Bia are encouraging people to develop, revisit, and enjoy the huge range of delicious dishes that these versatile ingredients can make! They’ve put together a list of gorgeous egg recipes to take you from morning to night, which can be found on the Bord Bia website. Keep reading for our own Easy Food favourites!
Eggs are a versatile and easy-to-work-with ingredient that provide fuel for your busy lives. Sweet or savoury, baked or fried, boiled or scrambled, there really is no limit to what you can do with them! As if that wasn’t enough of a selling point, eggs also have a number of other benefits…
Benefits of eggs
- High in protein, which makes them the perfect post-workout or exercise option
- High in Vitamin D, which Irish people (through no fault of our own) tend to be lacking in!
- Contains nutrients including vitamin A, B vitamins, iron, selenium, zinc, and iodine.
When to eat them
One of our favourite things about eggs is that you can eat them at literally any time of day! Here’s a few of our favourite egg recipes for different meals…
Eggs in the morning
- Kale and tomato breakfast wraps with runny eggs – read the recipe.
- Scrambled eggs with smoked salmon – read the recipe.
Eggs through the day
- Eggs Benedict – read the recipe.
- Honey-mustard potato salad with soft-boiled eggs and asparagus – read the recipe.
Eggs at the end of the day
- Steak and eggs with smoked paprika potatoes – read the recipe.
- Eggs in a rice nest – read the recipe.
If you haven’t cooked with eggs before, don’t worry! We’ve got you covered. Start by looking for the Bord Bia quality mark when you’re buying your ingredients, then read our ‘How to cook with eggs’ feature, and get cracking!
Like the look of the recipe at the top of this article? It’s for five-minute scrambled eggs with spinach and chilli flakes, and the recipe is here!