Searching for something different to do this weekend? Then it’s time you checked out the Connemara Green Festival.
This festival is one of the flagship events for the Galway/west of Ireland region of Gastronomy 2018. The theme for the festivities this year is ‘Eating for Conservation’ and there is also a fund-raising aim to raise awareness of the conservation of the freshwater pearl mussel. So as well as having a fantastic day out, you know you’re supporting a good cause!
The festival opens at 6pm on Friday and then fills up the weekend a series of ‘family-friendly events with a foodie flavour’. There’s something on offer for everyone, and highlights of the weekend include:
- A ramble in the Atlantic View Woodland Walk followed by a forest barbecue.
- The Connemara Green Feast at Pangur Ban restaurant, showcasing local artisan food produce.
- A talk and cooking demonstration by acclaimed chef Michael O’Meara
- A vegetarian cookery demonstration by Maureen O’Sullivan, President of the Vegetarian Society of Ireland.
- An oyster farm tour and tasting session
- A herb talk and tasting session
- Foraging sessions for both seaweed and mushrooms