- 1.5kg tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 onions, finely chopped
- 100g salt
- 500ml malt vinegar
- 500g brown sugar
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- Place the tomatoes and onion in a bowl and cover with the salt. Leave to stand overnight at room temperature.
- Drain any liquid the next day and place the tomato mixture into a saucepan with half of the vinegar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and chilli powder and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for one hour.
- Mix the flour, curry powder and mustard powder with the remaining vinegar, then stir into the pan. Cook for three more minutes until thickened, then transfer to sterilised jars and keep for up to three months.
Per Serving 81kcals, 0.2g fat (0g saturated), 19.3g carbs, 17.1g sugars, 0.8g protein, 1g fibre, 1.2g sodium