120ml olive oil, plus extra for frying
2 onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
4 tbsp parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
2 medium aubergines, halved lengthwise
1 tsp sugar
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a pan over a medium heat and cook the onions and pepper for 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes, parsley, salt, and pepper and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the mint and set the mixture aside.
- Make two lengthwise slits in the flesh of each aubergine, almost from end to end, cutting about 2cm deep in but being careful not to go all the way through the skin.
- Heat 120ml olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the aubergines, cut side down, and cook for 3-4 minutes until the cut sides are a dark golden-brown. Turn the aubergines over and cook on the skin side for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the aubergines from the oil and place cut-side down on a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain for 20 minutes before proceeding.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Open the slits you cut in the aubergines, holding them apart to spoon some of the vegetable mixture into each cavity.
- Arrange the aubergines in a baking dish just large enough to hold them.
- Sprinkle with the sugar, season with salt and pepper and squeeze over the lemon juice. Drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until tender. Serve with lots of crusty bread.
Per serving: 368kcals, 29.3g fat (4.2g saturated), 28.6g carbs, 15.1g sugars, 4.8g protein, 12.9g fibre, 0.018g sodium