Serves 6 - 6
- 1 large knob of butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 500 g lean lamb mince
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 500 ml beef stock
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 handful of frozen peas, plus extra to decorate
- 0 Salt and black pepper
- 800 g potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 40 g butter, for greasing
- 125 ml milk
- 0 Melted butter, for brushing
- Heat the butter in a large pot over a medium-high heat. When the butter is melted, add the onion and carrot and cook, stirring, for five minutes.
- Add the minced lamb and break it up with a wooden spoon. Cook for five minutes or until the lamb turns brown.
- Add the flour and stir for two minutes. Ask an adult to help you to carefully pour in the hot beef stock. Add the bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce, tomato purée and peas.
- Turn the heat up high until everything begins to bubble. Turn the heat down and cook for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens. Taste (be careful not to burn your tongue!) and add salt and pepper.
- While the sauce is cooking, ask an adult to put the potato chunks into a large pot of salted boiling water. Cook them for 15 minutes or until tender, then ask an adult to help you drain them as they are very heavy and hot.
- Return them to the pan and add the butter. Mash them until they are smooth, then stir in the milk. Taste the mash and season to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Ladle the lamb mixture into a large oven-proof baking dish.
- Spoon the potato into a freezer bag. Hold the bag at the open end, then use a scissors to cut one of the corners from the bottom. Use this bag to squeeze potato out onto the lamb mixture in the shape of Halloween ghosts – they can be as big or small as you’d like.
- Brush the ghosts with a little melted butter, then stick a few peas in as spooky green eyes! Put the pie in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the ghosts are golden brown.
Per Serving 414kcals, 23.6g fat (12.9g saturated), 30.8g carbs, 5.6g sugars, 20.3g protein, 5.2g fibre, 0.413g sodium