1 tbsp black peppercorns, crushed
½ tbsp white peppercorns, crushed
2 salmon fillets, about 180g each
1 tsp Dijon mustard
120ml double cream
1 tbsp chives, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- Combine the crushed peppercorns together in a small bowl.
- Smear the salmon all over with the mustard, then press the peppercorns into the tops of the fillets to form a thin coating. Season with salt.
- Place a frying pan over a medium-high heat until hot. Add the butter, and once it starts to foam lay in the salmon, skin-side down.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook the salmon for 4-5 minutes.
- Flip the salmon over and cook for another three minutes. Remove to a plate, tent loosely with foil and rest while you make the sauce.
- Turn the heat under the pan to high and boil the whiskey until reduced by a half. Add the cream.
- Use a wooden spoon to scrape up any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan and bring the sauce to a fast bubble.
- Boil for two minutes until the sauce starts to thicken, then taste and season with more black pepper if necessary and some salt.
- Place the salmon fillets on serving plates. Stir the chives into the pan sauce and pour over the salmon. Garnish with extra chives and serve immediately with peas and mashed potatoes.
Per serving: 547kcals, 39.9g fat (19.5g saturated), 4g carbs, 0g sugars, 36.7g protein, 1g fibre, 0.757g sodium