Serves 8 - 10
- 90 g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 450 g crusty white bread, cut into large cubes
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 400 g assorted mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 850 ml cream
- 8 eggs
- 60 g Parmesan, grated
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5 and butter a large rectangular baking dish. Place the bread cubes in a large mixing bowl and add the oil, thyme and garlic. Toss to coat.
- Spread the cubes out on a large baking tray and season with salt and pepper. Bake for 20 minutes until golden and slightly crunchy, turning occasionally. Return to the mixing bowl.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, celery and green pepper. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the juices have evaporated.
- Add the vegetables and parsley to the bowl with the bread cubes.
- Whisk the cream, eggs and a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour over the bread mixture and press the bread down to soak in the liquid.
- Transfer into the baking dish and leave to soak for at least 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the Parmesan and bake, uncovered, for one hour until the top is golden and the filling has set.
Per Serving 364kcals, 23.2g fat (10.1g saturated), 28.7g carbs, 5.1g sugars, 11.9g protein, 2.1g fibre, 0.49g sodium